About Bharatpur

The History of Bharatpur dates back to the epic age, when the Matsya Kingdom flourished here in the 5th century B.C the Matsyas were allies of the Pandavas in the Mahabharata war. According to tradition the names of Bharatpur is traced to Bharat, the brother of Lord Rama of Ayodhya whose other brother Laxman was given the high place of family deity of the ruling family of Bharatpur. His name also appears in the State seals and coat –of-arms.

Among the many kingdoms of Rajasthan, Bharatpur was the only one ruled by a dynasty of non-Rajputs. Raja Suraj Mal used the enormous wealth acquired by his armies to good effect. He built numerous forts and palaces across the kingdom including the Pleasure Palace complex at Deeg.

Bharatpur, which is also called the Eastern Gateway of Rajasthan, is today know the world-over for its Keoladeo Gnana National Park.

Maharaja Suraj Mal, Founder of Bharatpur.

In 1733 AD, Raja Badan Singh’s adopted son, Suraj Mal had shown signs of promise, when he captured the fort of Bharatpur from Khemkaran, the rival Chief, whom he killed and thus laid the foundation of Bharatpur City.

Maharaja Suraj Mal displayed immense courage and carved a niche for himself in the midst of political disorder. Gathering around him fiercely marital Jat peasants, he went from one success to another. He accompanied Emperor Muhammed Shah against Ali Muhammed Ruhela and in 1748 AD; at the battle of Bagru he led the Jaipur vanguard against the Marathas. He also defeated the commander-in-chief of the Mugal emperor. Despite being a very religious man he was secular.

 

Place to Visit

Keoladeo Ghana National Park

This bird paradise acquired its name- Keoladeo Because of the existence of the Keoladeo temple of Lord Siva. After the name of this temple the ladke is called “Ghana ” Keoladeo. Gahana being the vernacular synonym for dense forest. It was know as the bust duck shooting resort during the British reign, but was declared a reserve for birds in 956 and later upgraded to a Natinla Park. UNESCO had listed it as a world heritage site.

Government Museum

The building-Kamara Khas, within the fort, has been converted into a museum displaying in rich collection of antiquities, exquisite sculptures and some ancient inscriptions. The sculptures speak volumes about the art and culture which flourished here in those times and is typical of this area. The inscriptions are of immense historical value and help in tracing the royal lineage and local life.

Ganga Mandir (Temple)

The construction of this big temple was started by Maharaja Balwant Singh in 1845. The construction was carried out by a unique method, where all persons employed in the service of the state, were asked to donate one month’s salary of their service or any raise in pay towards the shrine. The Temple a beautiful piece of architecture.

Laxman Mandir (Temple)

This temple is famous for beautiful stone work with elaborate carvings from doorways to ceilings, pillars, walls and arches. The temple is dedicated to Laxaman, brother of Lord Rama.

Lohagarh Fort (Iron Fort)

Conceived and designed to last for years-Lohagarh Fort, true to its name, stood solidly against many attacks by the British, frustration them to no end. It faced the British onslaught four times and after a long siege they had to withdraw, but Lord Lake’s successor, Arthur Wellesley, ultimately managed to capture Bharatpur for the British.

It is very different from the other forts in the State. There is no flamboyance associated with his fort, but it radiates an aura of strength and magnificence. The fort is surrounded by a moat which was filled with water to ward off the enemy attacks. The sandy ramparts were strengthened by sandy battlement, thus the enemy guns proved of no avail.